Postdoc Opportunity at UC Irvine
Kristen Davis, an Associate Professor and SCCOOS PI at the University of California, Irvine, is looking to hire a postdoc for a project on the physical processes driving the formation and breakdown of hypoxia in a tropical bay. Please share the opportunity to graduate students and researchers who you think might be particularly well-suited for the position.
Please send any questions about the position to Kristen Davis at email@example.com.
The Coastal Dynamics Lab at the University of California, Irvine invites applications for a Postdoctoral Scholar position with an interest in physical and biogeochemical modeling to take part in an NSF-funded project intended to advance our understanding of the physical drivers of hypoxia in tropical bays. The successful candidate will have a working knowledge of physical oceanography/estuarine physics, ocean biogeochemistry, expertise in computational methods, and model evaluation. Preference will be given to candidates with experience with the Regional Ocean Modeling System (ROMS). The position will be located at UC Irvine working with Dr. Kristen Davis (http://davis.eng.uci.edu/), with opportunities to mentor graduate and undergraduate students and to travel to Panama to participate in field observations and work with colleagues there as well as to work with co-PIs/ collaborators at UC San Diego and Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build a regional scale physical and biogeochemical model of the study region (Bocas del Toro, Panama) in ROMS using FORTRAN;
- Use existing observations (historical data from Panamanian collaborators and new observations currently underway as part of this project) to evaluate model performance;
- Contribute to an understanding of the physical dynamics and drivers of hypoxia in tropical bays through model-based hypothesis testing;
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present results at national and international conferences.
- Doctoral degree in Oceanography, or a closely related field from an accredited university;
- Experience in numerical model application and analysis;
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Publications related to the minimum qualifications;
- Ability to travel to Panama;
- Ability to pursue research independently.
- Experience with biogeochemical models;
- Some experience with running ROMS;
The initial appointment will be for a 12-month period and will be renewable subject to performance and availability of funding. Salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, publications, and contact information for three references. Apply by submitting your application to our online RECRUIT system at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF05805
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.